Re: Proposed extension to HTML5.1 for rollup captions

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:17:14 +1100
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2013, at 16:37 , Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>  > These seem to be settling nicely, so once the editor transition is
> over, indeed an FSA is indicated.****
>
> Then I suggest we wait for the Final Specification Agreement to be done
> BEFORE we take up this discussion in the HTML WG.  That is how I believe
> the CG to WG transition process is supposed to work.
>

> It's all fairly new ground here (the CG to WG transition) but yes, having
> a stable FSA-d spec. would be good.

Paul, I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here.

The feature that this change proposal is suggesting does not depend on
WebVTT. It is simply and extension to the TextTrack API so it is possible
to fulfill FCC requirements for online video captions in the browser.
WebVTT will build on top of it and I would recommend TTML to also build on
top of it. But it does not depend on WebVTT having the same feature
implemented. In fact, it is the other way around where the TextTrack API
provides functionality that both WebVTT and TTML can build on.

So, nothing precludes the HTML spec progressing independently from the
WebVTT specification here.

Best Regards,
Silvia.