Re: Extension specifications howto

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 14:44:13 +0100
To: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>
CC: public-html@w3.org
Hi Cyril,

On 05/03/2013 14:06 , Cyril Concolato wrote:
> Quick feedback. I think you want to say something about the requirements
> on Extension Specifications, for instance, talking about backwards
> compatibility. Maybe adding guidelines on how to design the extensions
> such that a non-extended browser renders extended content meaningfully.

As Sam said, I would refer to the HTML Design Principles for that. The
purpose of extension specifications is emphatically not to produce
specifications targeting vertical domains unrelated to the Web at large;
rather the goal is to make it easy for people to propose new features of
a certain level of complexity, and easy for others to review such proposals.

As such, the design principles that apply are the same as for anything
else in the stack.