Re: proposal to explicitly forbid <small> use as subheadings

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 10:48:48 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
On 07/06/2013 10:05, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> hixie made a change to the whatwg spec in regards to <small>[1]

[...]
> but we need to decide if the "must not" requirement on use of <small> is
> an appropriate conformance requirement for HTML?

What if, as an author, I *do* want to mark my subheading with <small>
because I believe that part of the heading should be naturally
de-emphasised?

What if it was mandated that you "must not" use <small> for
subheadings...is there any reliable programmatic way to flag that up as
a validation error?

Patrick H. Lauke