Re: Context of the main element

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:11:20 -0000
To: public-html@w3.org
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:24:34 -0000, Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
wrote:

> It would be handy to be able to explicitly mark up the main content of
> an article or an asideā€”for exactly the same reasons that it would be
> useful to mark up the main content of a document.

I can't answer better than Steve, but AFAIU, <main> is for the beginning
of the main content of the page.  It's the destination of "skip links", so
AT users don't have to hear logos, navs, toolbars, headline tickers,
social meeja buttons. It has a 1-to-1 mapping with role=main, which is
only allowed once.

There's isn't main content of an aside. By definition, aside is an aside
and not "main". There isn't main content of an article; article is part of
main content.

That's my understanding; I may be wrong.

--

Bruce Lawson
Open standards evangelist

http://dev.opera.com