RE: a few suggestions on marking up comments [WAS Is the current definition of the article element in HTML useful?]

Steve Faulkner wrote:

“I have sketched out a few possibilities:
1 conservative, 1 less so.

http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/comments.html”

The conservative option probably makes the most sense. It’s familiar
territory for developers, a comment thread is a collection of items, and it
also provides another way for AT users to discover the number of items in
the collection.

Having something like:

<h2>38 comments</h2>

Makes that information easily discoverable visually (and that’s a good
thing), but it’s possible a screen reader user would bypass the heading (if
they were navigating the page by list for example). By wrapping the comment
thread in a list, for example:

<h2>38 comments</h2>

<ul>

<li>Comment 1</li>

<li>Comment 2</li>

…

<li>Comment 38</li>

</ul>

A screen reader would also be told “List of 38 items” on arriving at the top
of the list. Belt and braces is often a good thing.

I agree with Ian’s point that an ordered list might sometimes make sense,
unless comments were deliberately jumbled of course.

Léonie.