Re: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 00:18:33 +0100
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
Henri Sivonen, Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:16:22 +0200:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> I think users of BlueGriffon would get more value if you focused on
> the editing features and didn’t sink time into polyglot.
   [ . . . ]
>> Since an
>> editor like mine can edit all flavors of html, it still needs to
>> output the xml declaration for xhtml
> Not if you always output XML as UTF-8, which you should, since UTF-16
> makes no sense for interchange and UTF-8 is the only other encoding
> guaranteed by XML to be supported.
> I think the best solution would be to ignore polyglot and not support
> it, though. Then it’s OK to emit the XML declaration in XML.

Daniel, my personal preference would be that authors would have to
*uncheck* [x] Polyglot so that BlueGriffon would default to creating
HTML-conforming XHTML5.  And this also seems to be what Henri wants
when he puts aside all the points he wants to make first.
leif halvard silli