Re: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:16:22 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com>
On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org> wrote:
> (cc:ed to DOM 4 editors)
>
> Guys, I tried to make BlueGriffon output polyglot html5 for future
> 1.7 and I am hitting a serious issue: I am unable to do it for one
> single reason...

I think users of BlueGriffon would get more value if you focused on
the editing features and didn’t sink time into polyglot.

> Rendering engines are removing support for
> Document.xmlVersion, Document.xmlStandalone and Document.xmlEncoding
> that are deprecated in DOM 4. I have then *no way at all* of
> knowing if a document was parsed with an XML declaration or not
> from script, using the DOM.

Why do you need to know? BlueGriffon already can’t round-trip
whitespace between attributes. Why care about round tripping the XML
declaration? Both are serialization artifacts.

> The XML declaration is not reachable as a PI in the OM.

It would be a domain modeling error for it to be in the OM, since it’s
not part of the infoset. It’s just a serialization artifact.

> Since an
> editor like mine can edit all flavors of html, it still needs to
> output the xml declaration for xhtml

Not if you always output XML as UTF-8, which you should, since UTF-16
makes no sense for interchange and UTF-8 is the only other encoding
guaranteed by XML to be supported.

I think the best solution would be to ignore polyglot and not support
it, though. Then it’s OK to emit the XML declaration in XML.

> and for html5 if the polyglot
> option is not chosen.

You mean never for HTML?

> I guess this is an