Re: Proposed anchor target attribute _download

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 12:03:21 +0100
To: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
CC: public-html@w3.org
On 04/01/2013 04:14 , Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> An author is expected to know whether I would prefer to download a
> resource or simply open it normally. This strikes me as unlikely.

I don't think so. Obviously this could be used stupidly, but that would
just cause the site to shoot itself in the foot so I doubt it will be
used overly poorly.

The default situation is that activating a link follows it, and users
have an option to download it instead. This just reverses the situation.
As an author-driven way of specifying a different default behaviour it
is exactly similar to target=_blank except that _blank is used
annoyingly wrongly altogether too often whereas I'm pretty sure that
that won't be the case for @download. In fact @download can be seen as
just target=_download with the ability to specify the file name.