Re: Proposed anchor target attribute _download

On 4 January 2013 03:14, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>wrote:

> An author is expected to know whether I would prefer to download a
> resource or simply open it normally. This strikes me as unlikely.

Really?  That depends what the link's content says.  A "Download this
wallpaper" link resulting in downloading an image instead of opening it in
the browser would not astonish most users.  In fact, it would help a lot of
users that are unaware of the alternatives to just clicking links.

The use case offered in this thread essentially suggests defining the user
> interface of browsers - which is often not a good idea, and has therefore
> generally been avoided.

I thought the use case was for content authors that would like the
Content-Disposition behaviour, but do not have the level of control of the
server required to implement it (or the skills).

> I don't recall reading the discussion

Me neither!

--
Lee