Re: use of placeholder as a label for an input

On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:50 AM, Léonie Watson <tink@tink.co.uk> wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> “Also: You haven't explained why using a palceholder without any other label is insufficient.”
>
> The general problem is that if the placeholder is not supported/available, there is no sensible way for a screen reader user to identify the purpose of the field.
>
> If the field is part of a simple form (like a search), it’s manageable. If it’s a complex form with multiple fields it’s next to impossible to complete the form without knowing what should be entered into each field.
>
> Right now an associated label is the only robust (backwards compatible) way to make this information available. Strictly speaking the label doesn’t have to be visible, but keeping it visible makes the field easier for people with memory related conditions to remember the purpose of the field (once the placeholder has been overwritten).

What I'm expecting is that browsers that don't support "placeholder" will not support it in the visual rendering either. Therefore, authors targeting such browsers will need to use some fallback solution such as a scripted polyfill. In that case it makes sense to add a label via aria-label or an invisible <label> element, if a visible label is not appropriate.

I see your point about memory related conditions. And I agree that placeholders-only is generally poor form in a complex form. But I think placing a MUST NOT on an issue that ultimately comes down to visual design is not likely to work well. I think it's more effective to give authors advice about what designs usually work better and how to make a wide range of designs accessible.

Cheers,
Maciej