Re: use of placeholder as a label for an input

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:51:36 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
CC: 'HTMLWG WG' <public-html@w3.org>
On 19/02/2013 10:00 , Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> I see your point about memory related conditions. And I agree that
> placeholders-only is generally poor form in a complex form. But I think
> placing a MUST NOT on an issue that ultimately comes down to visual
> design is not likely to work well. I think it's more effective to give
> authors advice about what designs usually work better and how to make a
> wide range of designs accessible.

Much agreed. I routinely get lost in placeholder-only forms. It's also
why I often don't like browsers' form autofill functionality: if the
browser gets something wrong in a placeholder-only form, you just can't
see it.

I think this should stay a SHOULD NOT, but as all SHOULDs it must be
followed by a "because".