Re: use of placeholder as a label for an input

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 07:15:43 +0000
To: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi all, thanks for your responses so far!

some backstory, I was motivated to pose this question to the working group
as I have observed people tweeting this post:
Donít Put Labels Inside Text Boxes [1]

I also wrote about the placeholder attribute back in 2011 [2] and conducted
some testing (2012) [3]

FWIW I am not married to the idea of having a MUST NOT conformance on
placeholder, but wanted to ellicit thoughts from others on the subject. I
do think that addtional informative text would be useful.

[1]
http://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2013/02/dont-put-labels-inside-text-boxes-unless-youre-luke-w.php
[2]
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2011/02/html5-accessibility-chops-the-placeholder-attribute/