Re: yet another idea for the video tag.

This is already possible.

You can use a kind=metadata WebVTT track and put your arrow in SVG. Then
you just write a small JavaScript program to take the content of the WebVTT
cue and give it to the Web page as html (see getCueAsHTML function in [1]).

Alternatively you can also just use a UTF-8 character for "arrow" and
position it through a WebVTT cue.

Cheers,
Silvia.

[1]