W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html@w3.org > August 2013

Re: allow footer in blockquote for citations

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:21:24 +0100
Message-ID: <CA+ri+VnMRztM+ywGHWu7PweSWfefdevW+MU-h+dpKu+1H6E4GA@mail.gmail.com>
To: Andrew Herrington <a.d.herrington@gmail.com>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Andrew,

>Apologies if I missed this but what is the reason for requiring the
citation to be in a footer

its not a requirement,
its a relaxing of current requirements to allow for a common use, while
providing a way to indicate "this is metadata about the quote"

suggest reading-

new (proposed):
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element

old:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element

change based on:

   - https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=22996 (note: am not
   closing bug as this discussion has some time to run yet)
   - http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2013/on-citing-quotations-again/
   - http://oli.jp/2011/blockquote/
   - http://html5doctor.com/blockquote-q-cite/
   - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Aug/0100.html and
   related



--

Regards

SteveF
HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>


On 29 August 2013 10:15, Andrew Herrington <a.d.herrington@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apologies if I missed this but what is the reason for requiring the
> citation to be in a footer within the blockquote? Is this in case the quote
> itself contains a citation?
>
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew
>
>
> On 29 Aug 2013, at 09:55, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> some details:
>
> new (proposed):
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element
>
> old:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html51/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element
>
> change based on:
>
>    - https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=22996 (note: am not
>    closing bug as this discussion has some time to run yet)
>    - http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2013/on-citing-quotations-again/
>    - http://oli.jp/2011/blockquote/
>    - http://html5doctor.com/blockquote-q-cite/
>    - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Aug/0100.htmland related
>
> question:
>
> Is the change backwards compatible? i.e. does it break anything?
> data appears to show that metadata about a quote inside blockquote element
> is common
>
>> ”inside blockquote” was used 57% of the time, while
>> “outside blockquote” was used 43% of the time.
>>
>> source:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2013Aug/0100.html
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> SteveF
> HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>
>
>
> On 29 August 2013 07:53, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have made a change in the HTML 5.1 editors draft to allow citations to
>> be included in a footer element within a blockquote element.
>>
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/grouping-content.html#the-blockquote-element
>>
>>
>> review and comment welcome!
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> SteveF
>> HTML 5.1 <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/>
>>
>
>
>
Received on Thursday, 29 August 2013 09:22:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 29 October 2015 10:16:34 UTC