Re: Proposal for the deprecation of <blockquote>

Yes, I don't think addressing a minor bug so that two well-supported
elements (<footer> and <cite>) can be used together in a suitable context
could really be considered "a waste of everyone's time".

Certainly not more time intensive than Hixie's idea of introducing an
entirely new element in the form of <credit(s)> to the fray (
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-February/034822.html
)