Re: Mailing Lists (was Re: Evolving AppCache discussions)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 22:26:25 -0700
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:14 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> Adrian Bateman wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, September 14, 2012 11:57 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> > Jonas & Adrian,
>> >
>> > Do you feel the subject tag approach would not work for you (either
>> as a tool
>> > for filtering mail or as a way to scan for what you care about)? How
>> do you feel
>> > about how it works in CSS WG or Web Apps WG?
>>
>> I think there's enough mail that doesn't follow the pattern that still
>> makes it harder
>> to follow along.
>>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> I previously enquired off list if the W3C Mail servers could be configured
> in such a way as to a) establish a mailing list that "auto" inserted the
> [group] prefix to all emails from that list, and b) if those mailing list
> posts could also forward a copy of any correspondence from said sub-list to
> the main list.
>
> This way, if anyone wanted to subscribe to particular list ([foo]), they
> would only get emails posted to that list (all automatically prefixed with
> the [identifier]) while at the same time funneling all of those lists to the
> main list.
>
> I re-float this idea now in a more public way. Is this something that could
> be achieved, and would it address the problems that have surfaced?

The risk is that people that subscribe to the "top-level" public-html
list only reply to the public-html list. This would cause the thread
to be fragmented over multiple mailing lists. This problem would of
course be made worse if people who subscribe to public-html aren't
automatically given permission to send email to the "sub-list", but
would be a problem even without that.

This is generally a problem when emails are crossposted to many lists,
whether it happens automatically or if people write to multiple
mailing lists manually, and is why cross-posting is generally
discouraged.

/ Jonas