RE: Mailing Lists (was Re: Evolving AppCache discussions)

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:14:18 -0700
To: "'Adrian Bateman'" <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "'Maciej Stachowiak'" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "'Jonas Sicking'" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'Paul Cotton'" <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "'Sam Ruby'" <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Adrian Bateman wrote:

> On Friday, September 14, 2012 11:57 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > Jonas & Adrian,
> >
> > Do you feel the subject tag approach would not work for you (either
> as a tool
> > for filtering mail or as a way to scan for what you care about)? How
> do you feel
> > about how it works in CSS WG or Web Apps WG?
>
> I think there's enough mail that doesn't follow the pattern that still
> makes it harder
> to follow along.

Hi Adrian,

I previously enquired off list if the W3C Mail servers could be configured
in such a way as to a) establish a mailing list that "auto" inserted the
[group] prefix to all emails from that list, and b) if those mailing list
posts could also forward a copy of any correspondence from said sub-list to
the main list.

This way, if anyone wanted to subscribe to particular list ([foo]), they
would only get emails posted to that list (all automatically prefixed with
the [identifier]) while at the same time funneling all of those lists to the
main list.

I re-float this idea now in a more public way. Is this something that could
be achieved, and would it address the problems that have surfaced?

JF