Re: Mailing Lists (was Re: Evolving AppCache discussions)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 05:08:37 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, HTML WG (public-html@w3.org) <public-html@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby (rubys@intertwingly.net) <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Maciej Stachowiak, Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:21:34 -0700:

> Other Working Groups with many deliverables have faced a similar
> problem. A pattern that I feel works well is using a single mailing
> list, and using subject line tags in brackets. For example, the CSS
> WG does this with their public www-style list, and the Web Apps WG
> does this with their public-webapps list. This way, it is easy for
> people interested in only one or a few subjects to filter. But it is
> also easy to follow everything. And we reduce the risk of fragmenting
> the conversation, or of the main list appearing dead.

+1

As is, we also all to often end up discussing whether something was
sent to a particular list or not.

The different lists also creates a, false, feeling that the one or the
other thing is more "private" than the main list. Which in turn leads
to resending hither or dither.
--
leif halvard silli