Re: maincontent element

From: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:38:14 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> Cameron Jones, Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:52:54 +0100:
>>>
>>> Now I am waiting for what you say to the fact that <p> is literally
>>> going to spit <maincontent> out of itself. Just like it spits <div> out
>>> itself. That is something that authors are going to see  - without
>>> validator.
>
>> maincontent {
>>     display: inline;
>> }
>
> That doesn't help, my friend. A <div> is spat out of <p> regardless how
> you style it:
>
> http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/1749
>
> And <maincontent> will suffer the same fate.
> --
> leif halvard silli

As someone who only writes valid markup i'm not overly familiar with
browser error handling as i don't encounter it.

The examples i have contrived are meant to illustrate that humans are
self-serving and not specification-following. When the purpose of such
an element is for interfacing for accessibility, having misused
high-semantic elements would have greater negative impact than people
having to use low-semantic elements with or without accessibility
annotations.

But i do concede that i should watch the claimed modesty of such
contrived examples. It all seems beside the point, however.

Thanks,
Cameron Jones