Re: Info from HTML5 editors: merging WHATWG patches

On 09/09/2012 12:07 PM, Steve Faulkner wrote:

> also suggest that chnages may need a little closer scrutiny when
> sorting into b1/b2/b3 categories.

Which, to my mind, is exactly what is happening here.

We are pushing our editor team to move quickly to address the bug
backlog, and to involve the Working Group in the process.  The current
proposed draft changes to the Decision Policy will require a 72 hour
comment period before changes are applied, at this point it appears
likely that we will increase that to 7 days.

But we are not ready to propose that just yet as we are considering
proposing other changes.  The precise number represents a balance point
where we enable participation without unduly slowing down progress.  I
will note in passing that git helps enable both to occur.

And yes, by moving quickly, mistakes will be made.  Thanks for catching
two so far, and thanks to Silvia for working civilly and constructively
with Steve.

I'll close by expressing my hope that we can entirely -- or at least
effectively -- eliminate the revert policy.  The social norm at the
Apache Software Foundation is that changes that are committed that are
later objected to are quickly reverted by the person who committed the
change and discussion commences on a proposed replacement.  Often cases,
this ends up being a misundertanding and the original commit is
reintroduced, and that is entirely fine.  Hopefully the new editor team
that we have appointed will consider enacting a similar policy.

> regards
> SteveF

- Sam Ruby