Re: Info from HTML5 editors: merging WHATWG patches

From: Peter Winnberg <peter.winnberg@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:27:01 +0200
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
2012/9/9 Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>:
> this involves a conformance change and also reverts a WG decision:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0377.html
>
> suggest that this change not be made.

I agree with Steve here, but I have some questions about changes like
this that affects conformance. If we take the border attribute for
example how will validators handle this example now that both
specifications use <!DOCTYPE html>:

And how can document authors select which set of conformance
requirements that they want the document to be checked against. Isnít
it time for one of the specifications to switch to a different doctype
identifier so that it is possible to specify this?