Re: Info from HTML5 editors: merging WHATWG patches

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 23:36:33 +1000
To: Adrian Roselli <Roselli@algonquinstudios.com>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Adrian,

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Adrian Roselli
<Roselli@algonquinstudios.com> wrote:

> I am stil new to the process around here, but I just want to make sure I understand -- this means @srcset is moving to the on hold / wait for HTML.next branch, but that <picture> is still under consideration.
>
> Am I correct?

No, this is not the case. All new features are being moved into
HTML.next unless the WG agrees to integrate them into HTML5. At this
point I believe the general consensus is simply that adaptive images
are a new feature and therefore there will be no solution in HTML5.
The solution will be deferred to HTML.next.

> What's the process if WHATWG runs with @srcset and this WG hasn't come to consensus on <picture>?

In the end, browser implementations are what counts. So, hopefully we
will get browsers to agree on one mechanism before standardising it
for HTML.next.

Regards,
Silvia.