Re: Info from HTML5 editors: merging WHATWG patches

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 21:01:58 +0800
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> (B1) branches with fixes for typos or that resolve bugs in our bug
> tracker (i.e. we likely all appreciate that these should be applied).
> (B2) branches with features that are either new, or for which I don't
> know if we should merge them.
> (B3) branches/patches with features that we decided to hold back from
> HTML5 (also listed in [5]).

I believe that, at this point in the process, any change that either (1)
introduces a new feature or (2) would make a substantive technical change
for which there is no related LC bug where that change is an agreed
resolution should have explicit approval (i.e., resolution to that effect)
by the WG.

For me, a substantive change in this regard is any change that may affect
conformance or constitutes a change at a syntactic level, e.g., a WebIDL
change or a change to the set of defined elements, attributes or attribute
values.

At a minimum, the editor's should bring such a change to the attention of
the WG for discussion and resolution.