Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:38:50 -0700
Cc: silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com, janina@rednote.net, xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no, rubys@intertwingly.net, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, paul.cotton@microsoft.com, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>

On Mar 20, 2012, at 17:30 , John Foliot wrote:

> Except for when your b) assertion is NOT a frame from the video, but a different, author chosen and supplied image, referenced via @poster. Yes, a longer text description is required for the media (as well), but users are asking for both, and we should be able to provide both. This is not an aria-label, this is a rich textual description of both visual assets.

If there is extra information in that frame over what's in the video, there should be a description of that extra information in the description of the video. No debate about that.

Alas, we haven't managed to design the obvious need of a description of the video itself; or settle on a scheme to link to transcripts; or have a general scheme for timed alternatives -- despite talking about them, as I said, years ago in the Stanford workshop. We even managed to forget some of the needs identified there (e.g. susceptibility to stimulus - flashing/banging etc.).  sad.  very sad.

David Singer