Re: CP, ISSUE-30: Link longdesc to role of img [Was: hypothetical question on longdesc]

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:14:36 -0700
Cc: silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com, janina@rednote.net, xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no, rubys@intertwingly.net, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, mjs@apple.com, paul.cotton@microsoft.com, public-html-a11y@w3.org, public-html@w3.org
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>

On Mar 20, 2012, at 17:04 , John Foliot wrote:

> With all due respect David, that is not what a number of blind users have told me: they want to know both, and they also recognize that the image, while related to the video, may very well require its own textual description.
>
> I am somewhat frustrated when sighted engineers keep asserting what non-sighted users need and want: have you bothered to ask *them*?

I am not saying that they don't need the information.  Of course they need the information.

I am saying (a) that providing the 2-bits of the poster information without the kilobytes of video information has the wrong priorities and (b) we're confused if we think a still image of a stopped video is something distinct from the video.

David Singer