Re: Note in HTML4 spec about html5?

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:59:07 +0000
To: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Cc: "Carr, Wayne" <wayne.carr@intel.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Jace Voracek <jacevoracek@me.com>, David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:
>> Personally, I'd prefer W3C rescind outdated recommendations, but
>> linking to more up-to-date specifications is a good substitute.
>
> First, it will be maintenance nightmare.

How so?

> Second who is going to decide

Er … the WG responsible for maintaining the specs (that's us).

> which specification and which version should contain link to newer one?

I'd suggest all "latest version" specifications should contain a link
to the HTML5 work.

> Should HTML4 spec contain link to HTML5 which is far from being finished?

HTML4 contained a link to XHTML which, at time of publication, was not
a Recommendation (it was in CR), so there is precendent.

More importantly, the HTML5 work is what is relevant to implementors.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis