Re: Revert request

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:10:39 +0100
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Sam Ruby, Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:36:25 -0400:
> If an aria-describedAt were to be proposed, you might be asked to
> provide detail of the use cases that this solves.  But that's putting
> the cart before the horse.

Would you consider a 'global' longdesc as 'akin to ARIA-describedAT'?

> First we need to clearly establish if
> there is work on such a proposal, and what such a proposal would
> include.

Janina just answered some such questions: It eems like ARIA-describedAT
will happen in ARIA 2.0, and that it will be a pretty complicated
feature, which possibly support more than a single URL and cater for
multiple languages. [1] ARIA 1.1., which is supposed to become ready
during 2013, is only for corrections and minor features.[2] To me, it
thus looks like we need to leave the ARIA-describedAT, for HTML5.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0113
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Mar/0121
--
Leif Halvard Silli