Re: Note in HTML4 spec about html5?

On 12/03/2012 15:54, Jace Voracek wrote:
> Good eye with finding XHTML 1.0 as the "latest version of HTML".

> The XHTML 1.0 specification was the original recommendation of HTML

hardly:-) HTML pre-dates XML (and so XHTML) by years.

> so the
> URL http://www.w3.org/TR/html remains as such.

No. It was a later redirect added presumably at the time xhtml 1 was
published, but it seems utterly wrong/confusing.

 > I understand, as you
> mentioned, how that can be confusing for one searching for the latest
> HTML recommendation. Forwarding http://www.w3.org/TR/html to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5 would make the original XHTML 1.0
> specification unaccessible,

No it would still be available at the rather more natural

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

which is the one listed at in the front matter of the document.

> but perhaps providing a URL to the XHTML namespace would suffice. The
> namespace points to the major specifications relevant to HTML
> including the HTML5 working draft, so a browser would be able to find
> the latest version of HTML from there.

Given that namespaces are an xml feature, I don't think anyone should be
expected to look at a namespace url to find out anything about html
which is not, for the most part, an xml language.

David