Re: Note in HTML4 spec about html5?

From: Jace Voracek <jacevoracek@me.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:54:56 -0600
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Good eye with finding XHTML 1.0 as the "latest version of HTML". The XHTML 1.0 specification was the original recommendation of HTML, so the URL http://www.w3.org/TR/html remains as such. I understand, as you mentioned, how that can be confusing for one searching for the latest HTML recommendation. Forwarding http://www.w3.org/TR/html to http://www.w3.org/TR/html5 would make the original XHTML 1.0 specification unaccessible, but perhaps providing a URL to the XHTML namespace would suffice. The namespace points to the major specifications relevant to HTML including the HTML5 working draft, so a browser would be able to find the latest version of HTML from there.

Jace Voracek