Re: Introductiones

From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 00:40:31 +0000
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, public-html@w3.org, sysreq@w3.org
* Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> [2012-03-10 11:18+1100]
> Tab Atkins Jr.:
> >what is this i dont even
>
> Same happened here, very odd:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2012JanMar/0152.html

Looks like some spammer copied an old message from our archives [1]
to make it look legit, then added their spam URIs to the .sig.

I will block the offending relay and mark their messages as spam
in our archives.

People who are interested in preventing forgeries in their name
can set a Forgeproofing pattern for their W3C account using the
profile editor, https://www.w3.org/Systems/db/userInfo

Note that the recommended forgeproofing pattern (family name)
would not have helped in this case because the entire From: header
was forged, so it may be time to get more creative with forgeproofing
patterns. Using '^Received-SPF: pass' as the pattern would have
prevented both these forgeries. (but won't help for sites that
haven't deployed SPF)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ws-semann/2006Apr/0000.html

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>