Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of counter-proposals

On 3/8/2012 2:52 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:
>> Regarding: document.getElementById("video")
>> .getContext('experimental-ecmd').generateKeyRequest("org.w3.clearkey",
>> null);
>>

>> On 3/8/2012 1:19 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>> I like this idea a lot. It introduces a generic way to plug extensions
>>> into the video and image (and presumably the audio) element with
>>> functionality that is chosen through extra mime type parameters. I would,
>>> however, suggest not to use "audio/mpeg+keysystem" as the mime type, but
>>> rather mime type "audio/mpeg; keysystem=xxx".
>> For DOM, it'll save unneeded requests:
>> var a = new Image(); a.src =
>> "enc:org.w3.securekey:http://cdn.example/encryptedfile.png"
>>
>> For HTML,
>> <video><source src="http://site.com/cdmprotected.file" type="video/mpeg;
>> keysystem=com.netflix.honorarymention"><source src="loading.mp4"
>> type="video/mpeg" /></video>
>> <script>video.getContext('experimental-ecmd')...</script>
>
> So, hmm...
>
> if you retain the addition of the keysystem and key in the URL for CSS
> and JS, I wouldn't want it moved to @type in HTML media element
> markup.

That's up to you as an author. The "enc:*" prefix is an option,
developed separately from getContext.

These would behave the same:
<video><source src="http://site.com/cdmprotected.file" type="video/mpeg;
keysystem=com.netflix.honorarymention"></video>
<video><source
src="enc:com.netflix.honorarymention:http://site.com/cdmprotected.file"
type="video/mpeg"></video>

Type is needed for relative urls:
<video><source src="cdmprotected.file" type="video/mpeg;
keysystem=com.netflix.honorarymention"></video>

It's an option, inherited from the mime type field anyway, if it's used.
I may store a file on the server and send out those Content-Type headers.

We don't need "enc:*" to move forward with getContext, nor do we need
getContext to move forward with "enc:*".

-Charles