Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 07:59:43 +0100, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, Christian Kaiser wrote:
>> >
>> > However, I would bet that for *some* applications the protection that
>> > ClearKey affords can be satisfactory.
>>
>> Note that HTML now supports a superset of the ClearKey feature:
>>
>>   http://whatwg.org/html#http+aes-scheme
>

> Just because you spec'd the feature and threw it into a WhatWG draft does
> not mean that "HTML now supports" it.
>
> What browsers implement it and what vendors have declared their intention
> to implement it?

No browser vendor will promise to implement anything up-front, but I have
already stated that it looks like a better starting point than the de
facto standard CDM(s) that must emerge for the alternative to work at the
scale of the Web.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer