Re: Encrypted Media proposal: Summary of the discussion so far

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, Christian Kaiser wrote:
> >
> > However, I would bet that for *some* applications the protection that
> > ClearKey affords can be satisfactory.
>
> Note that HTML now supports a superset of the ClearKey feature:
>
>   http://whatwg.org/html#http+aes-scheme

Just because you spec'd the feature and threw it into a WhatWG draft does
not mean that "HTML now supports" it.

What browsers implement it and what vendors have declared their intention
to implement it? Given the ongoing discussion around this topic, I would
suggest it is premature to introduce this feature before a reasonable
consensus emerges and some amount of agreement on how to proceed has been
obtained.

In the mean time, I would object to including this feature in a W3C draft
until the WG has had an opportunity to discuss and agree on it.