RE: Encrypted Media proposal

From: John Simmons <johnsim@microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 22:07:48 +0000
To: "john@netpurgatory.com" <john@netpurgatory.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
CC: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
Colleagues,

I have used Netflix on my laptop, both my Samsung TVs, both my Blu-ray players (preferred for 7.2 audio), my Windows Phone and my wife's iPad. Works flawlessly, but I do have one complaint - Season 2 of Downton Abbey isn't available.

I started watching season-2 on my laptop, streaming in Flash from the PBS website. This was less satisfying, so I bought the Blu-Ray disc from Amazon.

Amazon immediately emailed me to say my purchase of the optical disc entitled me to the Amazon Video On Demand version as a gift with purchase. Which I can now watch on my big screen TV, because the Amazon Video on Demand service is supported from my Samsung Blu-Ray player. Now that surprised even me, and I am in this industry.

---

I bring this up because it illustrates what I believe is at the heart of the dispute about this proposal- a lack of clarity regarding the future significance of broadband-broadcast convergence - brought about because each industry is caught in its own 'paradigm paralysis' - its own tunnel vision reinforced by the decisions of the past.

I am convinced that if we get this right, clearly understanding the requirements for commercial video distribution on the web and the needs of an open web we can bring about a broadband-broadcast, multi-screen revolution that will be one of the most significant web developments since 1993.

That is my belief, and I know others on this thread agree with me. That is why I am so supportive of this effort.

John

John C. Simmons | Media Platform Architect | Microsoft Corporation | direct 425-707-2911  | mobile 425-269-5759