Re: Widevine, "necessary requirements", "silent monitoring" etc. Re: Encrypted Media proposal

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 10:17:16 -0800
To: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>
CC: David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Clarke Stevens <C.Stevens@cablelabs.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "<public-html@w3.org>" <public-html@w3.org>
On 3/3/2012 1:10 AM, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> On 03.03.2012 00:32, David Dorwin wrote:
>> Our plans for HTML5 are not necessarily represented
>> by any existing product. We are committed to all Chrome
>> platforms, including Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
> "not necessarily" is not necessarily the same as "not".
>
> Anyway: adding Widevine to Chrome, Chrome OS (what about Chromium and
> Chromium OS?) and Linux would not necessarily improve the situation.
>
> Maybe users of Chrome should ask themselves if such a "silent
> monitoring" feature is already running on their computers?
> Or they should ask themselves if Google considers to silently add it in
> the future during one of the updates?
>
> Why should I trust a company which promotes "silent monitoring" of users
> of its own software products?

We already saw fallout from mobile wiretapping with CarrierIQ this year.

At least, for the US, it's unlikely such monitoring will happen. Outside
the US, it's anybody's guess.

-Charles