Re: Issue 31c: Meta generator

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:26:17 -0700
Cc: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Mike Smith <mike@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>

The Chairs have reviewed the latest reopen request change proposal regarding ISSUE-31c meta-generator at <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Issue31cMetaGeneratorUpdated>.

We find that the section '"Legacy use" of meta generator is never likely to be supplanted by use conforming to the current spec text (new)', as supplemented by other materials it links, provides material new information. It identifies specific tools that are not, by any conception, WYSIWYG editors, but rather are processing tools for hand-authored content. Such tools emit meta generator and seem unlikely to remove it. This is information that would likely have materially affected the decision. We therefore reopen this face of ISSUE-31 as new ISSUE-206.

The new issue can be found here:
<https://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/206>

Regards,
Maciej