RE: MPEG2-TS activity in Bugzilla

From: Alex Giladi <alex.giladi@huawei.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 11:58:56 +0000
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>
Henri,

ISO-BMFF is also codec-independent. So what is proposed is support for another codec-independent container that is very widely used in the industry.
In general, a codec-specific container is a *terrible* design idea.

The motivation is that it makes sense to support the container that broadcasters and operators have their infrastructure built on.
I personally don't really care which codec is used, so I intentionally don't want to get into the debate whether MPEG-2 *video* is good/bad/bad patent-wise.

Regards,
Alex.