Re: Issue 31c: Meta generator

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
> This could be a different <meta> element...

This could work. (Work for alt, that is. I don't expect it to be
reasonable to come up with names for all possible aspects of validator
behavior, but I don't expect it to be interesting to suppress
arbitrary validator behaviors.)

> Or even better, a boolean option built into the validator's UI.

That would not address the problem. Let's recap what problem the spec
is trying to address: The spec is trying to remove the incentive for
generator developers to emit empty alt when their generator doesn't
have or logically cannot have proper alternative text it could stick
into alt. If suppressing reporting of missing alt was under the
control of the person who invokes the validator instead of the person
who programs the markup generator, the person who programs the markup
generator would still be incented to make the generator emit empty alt
in order to make the generator always produce valid output so that the
generator appears to be correct in the eyes of people who judge it by
validating its output.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi