Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 02:15:31 -0000
To: "Vickers, Mark" <Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com>, watsonm@netflix.com
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 01:59:44 -0000, Vickers, Mark
<Mark_Vickers@cable.comcast.com> wrote:

>>> Will there be a specified, interoperable CDM communication interface
>>> that browsers can implement?
>>
>> IMO, there could be if people would like there to be. On the other hand
>> there is no such standardized API for plugins or media codecs.
>
> I think this would be very useful to define a standard API that could be
> used with both software and hardware key systems. This is a much more
> narrow, well-defined interface than the all-purpose plug-in APIs.

I agree this needs to be added. Even if I wanted to say that "The current
proposal is fantastic! Let's do it!" and write patches for Firefox and
Chrome today, I couldn't — at this point the CDM side is all hypothetical
and there is no "meat" in the spec to actually implement.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński