Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 10:12:17 -0800
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>

On Feb 21, 2012, at 15:16 , Adrian Bateman wrote:

> Many content providers and application developers have said they can't use <audio>
> and <video> because HTML lacks robust content protection.

I'd really appreciate it if myths like this were not propagated.  HTML5 says nothing at all about the format of embedded media resources.  If the platform supports robust content protection, they are as playable as anything else.

Similarly the proposal itself starts with the same flawed implication, that protected content cannot be played in HTML5:

"This proposal extends HTMLMediaElement to enable playback of protected content. "

David Singer