Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:14:14 +0200
To: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM, John Foliot <john@foliot.ca> wrote:
> If *you* don't want to use Content Protection, then don't use it in *your* creative process.

Even if you don't use it for your creative processes, it can still
have an adverse effect on competition in the browser landscape. "Don't
use it if you don't like it." is an extremely naïve solution and
doesn't address the problem of unleveling the playing field by some
browsers becoming more equal than others when it comes to accessing
DRM-using services.

> As the writers of technical standards, we should not
> be making these kinds of value judgments, we should simply be making
> technical decisions based on technical knowledge.

That's bogus. Spec development involves value judgements all the time.
Even the decision of writing standards instead of letting every
implementor figure it out themselves is a value judgement.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi