Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:23:01 -0800
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
On 2/21/2012 3:16 PM, Adrian Bateman wrote:
> We'd like to get people's feedback on the proposal. It is posted here:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html
>
> Many content providers and application developers have said they can't use<audio>
> and<video>  because HTML lacks robust content protection. Without this functionality,

Well I'm certainly hoping this brings Netflix another step closer to HTML5.

Would you switch over to using async XHR in the Examples? It's a pain,
but that's the way it is.

For encryption (vs. "content protection"), I'd like to see something
like this supported:
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2011/11/Stream-video-using-the-MediaSource-API

I can easily handle stream encryption on array buffers, so that I'm not
locked into whatever is implemented in the encrypted-media API.

Keep in mind, these can all still work great with audio and video
processors:
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/02/HTML5-audio-and-the-Web-Audio-API-are-BFFs
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/streams/StreamProcessing.html

We are very close to a full, robust and programmable API chain for
audio-video content.

-Charles