Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

On Feb 21, 2012, at 4:21 PM, Chris Pearce wrote:

> On 22/02/2012 12:16 p.m., Adrian Bateman wrote:
>> Many content providers and application developers have said they can't use<audio>
>> and<video>  because HTML lacks robust content protection.
>
> We hear the same feedback. Can you highlight how robust content protection can be implemented in an open source webrowser? Specifically, since the decoded video frames are stored in memory (as are audio samples) so that they can participate in the HTML rendering pipeline, how do you guard against an open source web browser simply being patched to write the frames/samples to disk to enable (presumably illegal) redistribution of the protected content? Or is it not required to guard against that case?

Hi Chris,

Firstly, requirements around decoded frames sometimes differ from those around encoded frames which differ again from those around decryption keys. That is to say that there remains some utility in mechanisms which offer strong protection for the keys and decrypted, encoded, content, but lesser protection for the decoded frames.

Secondly, there exist many devices with content protection mechanisms of various sorts baked into their firmware/hardware. Open source software could make use of such capabilities in just the same way as it makes use of other hardware capabilities, such a graphics capabilities exposed through OpenGL. The proposal explains how software with access to such capabilities can expose that with an API in HTML. If my understanding is correct, it's not unknown for open source products to make use of or even ship with closed source components, such as drivers, for access to platform or device capabilities. There is of course much work to do to standardize the platform APIs that might be used to access such capabilities.

Thirdly, in the case of content where it is necessary to strongly protect the decoded frames, then obviously these frames cannot participate in open source software compositing in main memory. One can easily imagine, though, how such compositing could be done within the protected media pipelines of devices that support such content. I do expect, though, that there will exist interim solutions where frames routed through a protected media pipeline are simply rendered above, or below, the remainder of the HTML content.

...Mark