Re: Canvas as input vs. img (was Using @aria-describedby for long described image links [Was: Using an image map for long described image links [Was: Revert Request]])

On 2/7/12 4:39 PM, "Charles Pritchard" <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

>Small distinction, not very important.

Maybe I am looking at this differently, but I see this as a BIG
distinction since it changes the DOM/parentage of the button.

In the SVG case, the button is the parent (aka this is an input object
with button characteristics).  The SVG (at least logically) is simply
serving as some or all of the "appearance" of that button.   The button (I
assume!) is still part of a larger form which is part of the HTML root.

In the latter case, it says that there is a button that lives on top of a
canvas.  It's appearance is defined either by standard button styling or
whatever happens to already be on the canvas.  However, at least to me,
it's quite unclear whether that button is part of a larger form or not,
since I would never expect to see a canvas as a sub-element of form.

Leonard