Re: Revert Request

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:33:50 -0800
Cc: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:08 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> On 1/30/12 8:47 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>>
>>> So what is the most intuitive way to add a hidden
>>> description/summary/label? I would think "create a
>>> description/summary/label and then make it hidden".
>>>
>>> I.e. you'd write markup like:

>>> and then hide the stuff that you want to only expose to AT:
>>>
>>> Similarly:
>>

>> While I disagree with this method.
>
> Why? Assuming that the explicit goal is to create content only visible
> to AT, which is the stated requirement from the accessibility
> community.

Because it conflicts with existing practices and assumptions about content, both from a general CSS/DOM perspective as well as AT and ARIA. The requirement here is for a semantic means of presenting content without affecting the default visual representation; and the issue is whether the existing mechanism can be obsoleted. There is not a suitable replacement at present.

-Charles