Re: Proposal: Polyglot validation in degrees - not boolean

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 14:47:19 +0200
To: public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Leif Halvard Silli
> And what do the "validation community", especially Henri and Mike,
> think?

I have no interest in implementing polyglot checking for Validator.nu.
One of the reasons why I think there should be no polyglot REC is that
I don’t want people to ask validator developers to waste time
developing polyglot checking. (That’s not the primary reason why I’m
opposed to promoting polyglot. The main reason is that I think it’s
wrong to lure Web authors into jumping through useless hoops like
happened with Appendix C.)

I am still interested in adding an option for flagging implied tags in
Validator.nu. That seems to be something that authors liked about
XHTML 1.0-as-text/html validation. Also, I believe it would go a long
way addressing Sam’s use case of authoring HTML so that it can be
safely fed to a non-conforming HTML parser.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi