Re: Proposal: Polyglot validation in degrees - not boolean

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:15:18 +0100
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>
On 11.12.2012 12:04, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>   3. Best Practice conformance checkers should therefore present
>      the result as a list and as "degree of conformance". Some
>      good practises (like redundant encoding declaration), should
>      lead to "extra points" and thus be considered as "more than
>      conformance", from Polyglot Markup’s point of view.

I think it will be very hard to rate such "degrees of conformance" as
people have different views on what's good practice.

>  A) that polyglot conformance-checking would become of value also
>     for those that don’t aim for full polyglot conformance, which
>     in turn could broaden the interest within the HTMLwg as well;

It would be nice if validators can check conformance to polyglot
requirements. However as polyglot markup is suitable for very specific
cases I don't think that seeing how much close to polyglot your document
is would be very useful metrics.

				Jirka