Re: CfC: Create Media Task Force

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:16:02 -0700
To: robert@ocallahan.org
CC: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 4/19/2012 4:50 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com
> <mailto:watsonm@netflix.com>> wrote:
>     On Apr 17, 2012, at 9:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>         Why can't all CDMs be specified/documented?
>     I suppose Microsoft/Google/Apple could answer for why they have
>     not or will not publish the PlayReady/Widevine/Fairplay
>     specifications.
> Sorry, we're miscommunicating. I'm not asking that those DRM systems
> be completely specified or documented. I'm only asking that the
> interface between those systems and the browser be specified or
> documented, so that anyone writing a browser for a system where one of
> those products is present can implement the CDM for that product.

Seems like the API is opening up for Win 8; I don't know about other

Mozilla Firefox Mobile has made room for hardware decoding:

Microsoft Windows Metro has released SDK and docs on PlayReady support
and surrounding tools:
C++ API:
JS: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/PlayReady-support-in-c18e7871

"Windows has a pluggable DRM model and PlayReady is one of possibly
several that would be supported and so the APIs are different to account
for a content protection manager"

Play To "Devices":

Play To Receiver: