Re: CfC: Create Media Task Force

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:50:26 +1200
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:

>  On Apr 17, 2012, at 9:01 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>  Why can't all CDMs be specified/documented?
>>

>  I suppose Microsoft/Google/Apple could answer for why they have not or
> will not publish the PlayReady/Widevine/Fairplay specifications.

Sorry, we're miscommunicating. I'm not asking that those DRM systems be
completely specified or documented. I'm only asking that the interface
between those systems and the browser be specified or documented, so that
anyone writing a browser for a system where one of those products is
present can implement the CDM for that product.

I think asking browser manufacturers to become DRM vendors is something we
> want to avoid. We want to ensure that those existing technologies can be
> easily integrated with browsers of all kinds.

Fully agree! (Modulo my latent desire that we not have to deal with DRM at
all. :-) )

Rob
than others?" [Matthew 5:43-47]