RE: CfC: Create Media Task Force

On Friday, April 20, 2012 5:23 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:42 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> > The only thing I am unsure about is how much of the above could/should be
> > done in a W3C context and how much is about companies working together
> > outside W3C ?
>
> I think such an API should be a core part of the Encryption API that
> is being proposed. Thus, I would like to see this API being developed
> as part of the work of the task force.
>
> This whole thread has been very instructive for the collection of
> scope and deliverables of the TF. I'd like to see these included into
> the list of "principles" laid out for the task force before we
> proceed.

I'm not convinced that binary APIs in User Agents between their implementation
of the Encrypted Media API and their underlying approach to CDMs should be the
focus of the W3C. This is like suggesting that NPAPI should be specified as
part of the <object> element specification. Some browsers choose to implement
using a different API but that shouldn't affect conformance. If people want to
discuss this here it should be part of a separate document.

Adrian.